A multitude of applications
Posted 08:39 July 20, 2020
Last Updated 11:51 September 09, 2020
Trenching is one of the most common methods of hydro excavation. There are various forms of trenching (perimeter, slot, linear, box, cross and exploratory trenching) each of which offers a strategic alternative that is designed to fit the scope of the job. From a definition standpoint, hydro excavation trenching uses pressurized water and a continuous vacuum excavation system to cut a ditch of various dimensions in the ground.
The process begins with a small hole. With the mechanical or manual vacuum system hovering the designated surface area, an operator excavates straight down into the ground. The depth of the starting hole is usually determined by the scope of work and will generally set the grade that the trench will follow.
Some of the more common trenching applications include:
• Exploratory trenches prior to excavating with a track hoe for the subsurface installation of pipeline, electrical or fiber optic utilities.
• Straight-line exploratory cutting prior to auguring foundation pier shafts for an above-ground pipeline or electrical conduit rack.
• Narrow trenching around the perimeter of a foundation for the installation of grounding wires or electrical lines.
• Pre-design perimeter trenching to provide structural engineers empirical data about subsurface utilities.
• Slot trenches to determine the clearances above, below, or between subsurface utilities.
• Cross trenching to verify subsurface clearances prior to the installation of foundation structures for transmission and cellphone towers.
• Box trenching around buried pipeline valves or sections of buried pipeline for point repair operations.
• Slot trenching to provide clearance for the installation of sheet pile shoring around pipeline utilities.
• Slot trenches to locate and expose wayward directional drill heads or drill heads that may have encountered underground utilities or structures.
Hydro excavation technology is still evolving. For more information, browse our website or contact us for further information. Hole Hogz services Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, and most parts of Clark County, Nevada.